Wednesday, April 6, 2011

USA here I come

DONE MY PAPER!!!!

It only took me all day. But I also stopped to eat lunch, pack, go to the library with Lauren to print boarding passes (!), eat dinner, and have a goodbye-for-break powwow in the hallway with my friends. Plus I had about 0.27% motivation to do this paper in the first place. So at least I didn't have to pull any more all nighters.

The bad part is that I actually still have some stuff to do before I leave, namely print and hand in my paper and check out some books for my next paper. These papers never end do they? But I have my final paper due the week I return from break, so going home without any source of research would probably not be the best idea. Although I'm hoping Wellesley's library can help me out.

I'm also not particularly looking forward to compiling an adequate course schedule for next semester, since I've realized I get to choose my classes Friday - three days early because Wellesley told me they really liked me and missed my squeaky biking around campus. What? You think it's because I'm abroad? No, I am special and Wellesley loves me.

So a lot has happened since this weekend and in fact I'm not sure where the time went. I'm assuming it was sucked into a black hole thanks to a certain paper I avoided. Oh well. So Saturday obviously I went to a pub and played Monopoly, and here is Lauren and me with grown up drinks. Don't get too excited though, mine only had about 4% alcohol content. But don't we just look perdy?

Less pretty is the block around the corner from my dorm, where you can clearly see my beloved Caffe Nero as well as Subway. Further down is a Blockbuster, a small supermarket, a Tesco (which is like a bigger version of a 7/11), a pharmacy, a pub, and a very expensive bike shop. Of course I also took this picture on the one rainy day this week. (Today was beautiful and warm - high 60s.)


And here is the street leading to my dorm, which is on the left past the tree. But the point of this picture was to illustrate the fact that no one cares which direction they parallel park in. Weird, right?


Sunday for dinner Lauren and I, in fits of frustration against the pub food we are sick of, got dessert for dinner. Here is mine, a Belgian waffle with strawberry sauce and ice cream...delicious:


Yum yum yum. In terms of anything else that's happened, mostly Lauren and I have been laughed at. I don't think my wording has ever been questioned so much since I've been here. Most recently at our powwow Emma laughed at Lauren and I for our pronunciation of Edinburgh. We say it with a hard g, but apparently it's correctly pronounced "Edinbur-ah" with a very very soft "ah." No wonder no one said it like us when we went there.

I was also laughed at for saying "mall," "finals," "Bandaid," and "movies"... as in "This weekend we went to the movies."

British translations: "shopping center," "exams," "plaster," and "cinema."

The girl who corrected the movies one thought it was so great. She liked our way of saying it, but didn't think anyone actually said it other than in old movies.

I explained the loveliness of Dunkin Donuts tonight as well. Emma has been to Florida once and was all for Dunkins, proclaiming her love of an icy drink I told her was called a Coolatta. I will miss these lovely dinner chats with my British friends. Though I will not miss the food. No. I will definitely not miss that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment