Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goodbye Manchester, Hello London

One last view of Manchester from the hotel...
Thanks for having me, Manchester! It's been fun.
I took my last final exam Monday afternoon, after walking several miles to the building. After the exam, I finished packing, had my last dinner with my friends, gave some of my things (like the mini fridge) to Emma, and said final goodbyes before heading over to join my family at their hotel.

The next day we trekked to Piccadilly station and after our train was delayed and then canceled, we changed trains and thankfully made it to London unscathed. Unfortunately we were tired and cranky and moved hotel rooms because the first was smelly, so there wasn't much documentation of the first day. Our hotel is on the river, across from Parliament and Big Ben, and we walked across to find a place for dinner. Day one's dinner was gross though, consisting of two very dense, herby burgers, a ham and cheese sandwich with ham that looked more like Spam, and a grilled cheese that ended up actually being a shredded cheese sandwich with vinegar pickles. Yum....not.

Here's a shot of Parliament and the London Eye from the bridge on the first night.

Day two we headed across the bridge and walked and walked and walked, seeing the awesome sights of London. First stop, after passing by Parliament, was Westminster Abbey, which was spectacular, though unfortunately you can't take pictures inside. But we saw where Kate and William got married!

Amanda and Mum in front of Parliament.

Inside Westminster Abbey, in the cloister, where apparently we could take pictures. Yay!

Westminster Abbey! One big giant indoor cemetery.

Then we walked over to Buckingham Palace! The gate was quite impressive. They need some more gold things or sculptures or something on the building. But maybe that's just me. In any case, it was pretty cool.


Chilling on the fountain in front of the Palace.

The monument in front of Buckingham Palace.

After the Palace we stopped in a little French bakery for a snack, which was lucky because as soon as we got inside it started raining.

Mum got a (delicious!) cannoli and tea.

And the rest of us got cookies. Yum.

The rain let up and we headed over to Harrods, a very famous shopping place, which was surrounded by other famous shopping places, like Burberry, Dolce & Gobanna, and Harvey Nichols. How I wish we could have afforded any of it.

The ginormous Harrods building.

Inside the food halls of Harrods, we found the candy room! Nom nom nom!

I wish I could make a cake like this! So pretty! A security guard came over to me as I was taking this picture, giving me a slight panic attack that I was going to be in trouble, but he just wanted to chat about cake. How nice.

GELATO! YUM YUM YUM!!!! I could have eaten everything in this room.

The escalator room inside Harrods. This place was crazy huge and crazy expensive. Five floors of stuff, from clothes to furniture to children's designer clothes to pet's designer outfits and toys to hats and purses and jewelry and a whole room of perfume. Incredible.

We walked all the way back and enjoyed all the views, like the London Eye.

And Parliament.

We've also been having some major issues with the washing machine, which came with no instructions. Turns out it's broken. The thing is barely large enough for a couple pairs of pants though. Or should I say trousers. Because pants in Britain mean underwear.

Well time to go enjoy some more of London!

No comments:

Post a Comment