Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Belated Pancake Day

Yesterday was Pancake Day! My very first. I'm pretty sure this is synonymous with "Fat Tuesday" and Marti Gras, only with pancakes. During a break in class yesterday, a British girl asked if I was going to eat pancakes at tea, to which I responded with a very eloquent, "What?" Apparently the tradition involves eating rich foods with sugar and eggs and whatnot that are usually restricted during Lent. So dinner last night involved very thin, large pancakes, onto which I was told to put lemon juice and sugar. I regretted the lemon juice because there was maple syrup available, and I was only told to use the juice by a girl who happened to just not like maple syrup. But I also put some berries onto my pancake and this balanced the juice flavors. And granulated sugar was added to counter blandness, though personally I think powdered sugar would have been better. In any case, the pancake wasn't anything too special, especially since I didn't eat it right away, so it was cold. I don't recommend cold pancakes. But it was still exciting.

Today I had one seminar from 10-11, and since my bus pass is expired (it's weekly) and I didn't feel like buying a new one this morning (mornings at the bus stop are always a little chaotic), I figured I'd walk. It's only about a ten to fifteen minute walk from my dorm over to the University buildings (depending on how fast you're going). I knew we were expecting rain today, and in fact the roads were already wet, but since it wasn't raining at the time, I set off down the road. About half way there, the clouds were spitting, and naturally I was umbrella-less and hood-less. And the sprinkles turned to rain. Which turned to hail. And by the time I got into class, I was sopping, and probably in quite a sad state compared to the dry early students. After class, no rain. Thank you, skies. Somehow only half my hair decided to curl from the rain, too, so I'm looking a little bit like I forgot to finish straightening it. What a day. Time to go tackle that paper....

No comments:

Post a Comment