Saturday, March 26, 2011

Matt Damon defies God

Last night my friends and I rose one step above lame and actually went out on a Friday night. I say only one step because we just went to the movies. And our movie choices were limited, since all the movies seemed awful. We ended up flipping a coin between Hall Pass and The Adjustment Bureau. The Adjustment Bureau won. The theater was actually just an AMC, so nothing out of the ordinary, though the place was huge. And they had these big famous movie quotes painted on the walls, which was kind of cool. There were also escalators. The kind that have clear bottoms so you can see the conveyor belt mechanism. Unfortunately for Matt Damon and Emily Blunt I was more impressed by the super cool escalator than their movie. It wasn't very exciting. And it was less believable. Plus the ending was a total cop out. After all the trouble Matt Damon took to try to defy his life's "plan," a plan set by "the chairmen" who was quite obviously God, there was really no brilliant resolution. The writers were probably like, "Okay it's been an hour and forty five minutes. How do we end this thing? Oh, just let them decide their own destiny. The whole point of the movie doesn't really matter, does it? No one will mind having watched suited guys in bowler caps literally chasing our characters down to stop them from ruining 'the plan' to only let them write their own plan in the end." We minded, writers. We minded.

Other than the bland movie, it was an enjoyable experience. In fits of excitement we got British versions of Icees, which look similar (even down to the blue and red options), but use Fanta flavors. And Lauren and I split a popcorn, which wasn't that great because it had been sitting in a bag instead of GC style in a bin. (GC style is always the best style). But the theater was easily accessible and surprisingly affordable so I'm sure we'll be back.

Today Lauren and I dined at McDonald's. Classy, I'm aware, especially since I ate it on Wednesday. I swear this is only the second time I've had it since the beginning of February. Anyway we also went to the library, and being on the ground floor literally makes my stomach feel sick or nervous or something upsetting because of Wednesday. I still can't believe it. And living on one of the busiest bus routes in Europe does not help make me feel better.

Lauren also had a group project meeting today, and since we had an hour to kill, we found the study room she had to be at and sat there playing with the huge TV screen computer. Mostly Lauren tried to fix the awful Powerpoint one kid made. And of course that one kid showed up first, and after looking at me and going, "Who are you?" he took one look at the computer screen and asked, "Why is that different?" Well I peaced out of there fast and left Lauren to try to find the words to nicely say, "This powerpoint sucks."

I then proceeded to watch old episodes of Glee on my computer before Lauren, Veronique and I made our way over to Chinatown to find something new to have for dinner. The food was pretty good, but the restaurant experience was less than satisfactory. Oh well. Guess it's back to the pub tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment