Friday, March 25, 2011

WIN Fail.

My paper is complete. Soon I will hand it in and feel infinitely lighter. However I must first trek to the library, print it, and then go to the department office, fill in a form, and attach said form to my paper before handing it in. I also must hand in my census form today to avoid a 1000 pound fine, but that is a separate mission.

It has never taken me so long to complete a paper, and I'm not sure of the reasons, but they may or may not be inclusive of:

- a very difficult essay question
- an overwhelming amount of source material to sift through
- the fact that the novel is 500 pages long
- the fact that I didn't like the novel
- unrelated emotional heartache
- my inability to avoid distraction
- facebook
- other homework
- skype
- a pesky desire for cleanliness resulting in long showers

In any case, I did learn some interesting things. For example, I discovered that birds begin chirping at about 3:30 AM. Who knew, right? I didn't. I also discovered that magically wishing for the paper to be done does not work. Neither does staring intensely at the computer screen or slamming your forehead onto the keyboard in hopes that your brain will literally just do the typing for you. Bouncing on the bed also does nothing in terms of finishing a paper, but it does make you slightly giddy. It also puts your head in dangerous proximity to a very comfortable pillow.

I also took no pleasure in the irony that thanks to the course name - Writing, Identity, and Nation - I called my word document "WIN Essay" and proceeded to epically fail in its writing. Eventually I think I just ran out of words in my head, and went to sleep. I have never stayed up so long writing a paper, and I look forward to never doing it ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment