Saturday, March 12, 2011

watermelon tissues

It's the weekend and I was going to say that I have nothing interesting to report, but I bought this today:

A Kleenex box in the shape of a watermelon slice! Literally the best Kleenex box I've ever owned in my life. The drugstore also had orange and lime slices but this one was my favorite. Maybe next time I'll go for orange.

Other than buying this, a new chapstick, and Palmolive aquarium hand soap for my basin(!), as well as watching about 17 episodes of "Parks and Recreation," my weekend has been pretty uneventful thus far. I've managed to read about 20-30 pages of my homework, but still have roughly 50 pages of articles and two chapters of "American Culture in the 1960s" to go. Plus I've started "Trainspotting," the next novel for my English class, since I've discovered that it is 350 pages of Scottish vernacular. Here are some examples:

"Ah sais nae mair" (which I finally figured out to mean "I says no more")

"Ah wid huv n aw had ah no felt that each bone in ma body wis simultaneously being crushed in a vice n set aboot wi a blunt hacksaw."

"Instead ah content masel wi making the point that we wir aw Kelly's friends, and questioning why ah should be singled oot fir visiting duties."

In other words, it takes about five times longer to read one page than it would to read one page of a regular novel. So I'm giving myself plenty of time (two weeks). I'd also like to point out that it took about 15 minutes to find quotes that didn't include a swear or some reference to drugs. Page 2 drops the f-bomb 18 times. On the bright side, it is mildly amusing to read in an Scottish accent.

And to leave off, yesterday I had Caffe Nero for brunch. The lemon poppy seed muffin is my favorite muffin in the world. I wonder how strange the cafe would think I was if I asked them to mail a box of muffins to the US. Or maybe I could ask for the recipe. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment