Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Fruit by the Meter!"

So another Monday and Tuesday have come and gone, and I await only one more hour of seminar (American studies) before my very brief school week is over. And hopefully this seminar goes better than last week's, when my professor asked us to name a certain political figure from the 60s who has also recently run for the Presidency, and in the awkward silence that followed, looked AND pointed at me with a "you should know this!" And as heads turned in my direction I panicked and said "Al Gore?" which was horrendously wrong but thankfully my professor supplied the right answer and I could sink invisibly into my chair as the class wondered how I could even pass as an American. In my defense, the question related to environmentalism. I had also just admitted to this professor in his office hours that I was extremely politically challenged. So if this was a test, I failed miserably. And he'd better believe me now. Or maybe it was very delayed payback for when I critiqued his work in my reading response the very first week of class, before I realized that the editor of our text book did not just coincidentally have the same name as my professor.

In any case, the class itself is great, just consistently makes me feel inadequate as an American.

In other news, I stopped at a store yesterday (there are three small convenient/market stores just on the block around the corner) and got some snacks, including these great finds! Kit Kat Pop Choc and Fruit Winders. I never thought I'd see the Kit Kat bites ever again, the candy that we used to have at the theater but which was discontinued. So thank you, England. And Fruit Winders are clearly a British version of Fruit by the Foot or Fruit Roll Ups. After I stopped laughing at Amanda and my mom last night for pronouncing "winders" like an uneducated person trying to say "windows," we questioned the name change for two seconds before Amanda said, "Because they don't have feet!" and my mom added, "Fruit by the meter!! ...Yeah it doesn't sound as good." =P

Also, the real subject of the above photo is actually the Pringles face in the background.

Last week I also took some updated photos of my room with things on the wall. So enjoy. I also finally opened my curtains, something I rarely do because of my unfortunate position beneath the main entrance of the building. But opening the curtains does tend to make my basement room seem slightly less like a prison cell with no window.





No comments:

Post a Comment